- Bank of Hawaii Login Tutorial & Info
- Address: 111 S King St, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
- Website: https://www.boh.com/
- Telephone Number: 1-888-643-3888
- Headquartered In: Hawaii
- Founded: 1897 (123 years ago)
- Bank's Rating:
Bank of Hawaii is the second oldest bank in the state of Hawaii. It’s the largest locally owned bank in the state too i.e. most of the voting stockholders living in the State of Hawaii.
The Bank of Hawaii Corporation is headquartered in Honolulu and is a regional commercial bank. The bank leads the state’s financial institutions in terms of:
- Branches and
However, First Hawaiian Bank has the largest amount of deposits in dollars. The bank has investment and treasury services in addition to its commercial and retail banking services.
History of BOH
The Bank of Hawaii was chartered and incorporated in the Republic of Hawaii in December 1897. It was the first bank to be chartered and incorporated in Hawaii.
The bank was the brainchild of Peter Cushman and his close friends Charles Montague Cooke and Joseph Ballard Atherton. The charter was issued by the Republic of Hawaii’s Minister of the Interior at that time.
The bank’s first office was located in a two-story building in downtown Honolulu. The building was made from wood. Despite the humble beginning the bank would go on to play a major role in Hawaii’s change into a state.
The bank grew at the same pace as the rest of state and was a major supporter of the agriculture in the state.
In order to make the bank less vulnerable, Bank of Hawaii decided to diversify its customer base. This was because most of Hawaii’s economy is service based. This is one of the reasons why the bank start to seek international banking opportunities.
Due to Hawaii’s location in the Pacific, Bank of Hawaii would become an important player in the trade between the U.S. and Asia. The bank gained an international presence so as to serve its customers who had business in the Pacific.
The bank has gone by several names in its history including:
- Hawaii Bancorporation from 1971 to 1979
- Bancorp Hawaii from 1979 to 1997
- Pacific Century Financial Corporation from 1997 to 2002
Bank of Hawaii’s corporate headquarters are located at 111 South King Street, Honolulu. The building also has an entrance on Bishop Street.
The building was completed in 1968 and features 6 stories above ground. The building is 60.86 feet tall and was previously known as Financial Plaza Building. It’s now referred to as Bank of Hawaii Building.
The main branch underwent renovations in 2017 with the purpose of giving it a fresh look and feel with the bank’s ‘Branch of Tomorrow’ concept. This involves an open plan setting, free Wi-Fi, tablets and digital screens. There are also booths added for private consultations.
BOH Notable Achievements
- 2005 – The bank was named the best performing bank by Bank Director Magazine
- 2007 – The bank was named the No. 1 performing bank in the U.S. by U.S. Banker Magazine
- 2007 – BOH was ranked 1st in deposit gathering efficiency by Forbes Magazine
- 2009 – ABA Banking Journal ranks BOH the best performing bank in the country for banks with assets exceeding $3 billion
- 2010 – BOH named best bank in America for the 2nd year running by Forbes Magazine
Bank of Hawaii Headquarters Address
111 S King St, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA