- SunTrust Bank Login Tutorial & Info
- Address: 303 Peachtree St NW, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
- Website: https://www.suntrust.com/
- Telephone Number: 800-382-3232
- Headquartered In: Georgia
- Founded: 1985 (34 years ago)
- Bank's Rating:
SunTrust Bank is the biggest subsidiary of SunTrust Banks, Inc. SunTrust Banks, Inc. is a bank holding company based in the United States. The bank’s most direct parent traces its roots to Atlanta where it was established in 1891.
SunTrust bank is one of the largest banks in the entire country. Its branches are distributed over 11 states in the south east and also in Washington, D.C.
SunTrust Bank by The Numbers
1400 – This is the number of branches the bank has in the 11 states in which it operates. It also has 2160 ATMs
24,000 – This is the approximate number of people the bank currently employs
$208 billion – This was the total value of the bank’s assets at the end of September, 2017. This makes it the 17th largest bank in the country based on value of assets
$27 billion – This was the bank’s market capitalization in November 2017. This made it the 15 largest bank in the U.S. based on market capitalization
$1.5 billion – This is what SunTrust Bank paid in 2013 after being accused of various lending malpractices
SunTrust Bank’s History in Brief
- In 1891, the Commercial Travelers’ Savings Bank in Atlanta was granted a charter by the Georgia General Assembly. Two years later it changed its name to Trust Company of Georgia.
- In 1919, the company provided underwriting services to The Coca-Cola Company. As payment, the company was given some of Coca-Cola’s first publicly traded stocks.
- Third National Bank, which would merge with SunTrust in 1986, was chartered in Nashville in 1927.
- In 1934, another of the bank’s predecessors, The First National Bank at Orlando, FL was chartered.
- At the end of 1985, the bank had assets that totaled $19.4 billion. During the same year, Trust Company of Georgia merged with SunBanks, Inc. and formed SunTrust Banks. The banks would still operate under their original names in their various markets.
- In 1986, SunTrust acquired Tennessee’s second-largest bank holding company at the time, Third National Corporation. One year later, SunTrust was named the Top Performing Regional Bank Holding Company after posting the industry’s highest earnings in the first half of the year.
- In 1995, the SunTrust name was adopted by all the three major banks in the merger still operating under their own names.
The headquarters of SunTrust Banks are located in SunTrust Plaza in Atlanta. The 869-ft building was constructed as part of the Peachtree Center complex.
Construction of the building was completed in 1992 and since then, it has been the city’s 2nd tallest building. At the time it was completed, it was the 28th tallest building in the world.
Although the start of construction was greeted with plenty of fanfare, the real estate market in the city was struggling by the time the building was completed. The developer was nearly forced into bankruptcy as a result.
The building came out relatively unscathed when it was struck by the 2008 Atlanta tornado. Several offices did suffer broken windows but the damage was mild compared to other nearby buildings.
SunTrust Bank Headquarters Address
303 Peachtree St NW, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA